Herb-spiced Flank Steak Salad on the Pellet Grill
This recipe is an excellent source of Dietary Fiber, Protein, Iron, Potassium, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, Zinc, Selenium, and Choline. It is a good source of Thiamin and Riboflavin.
Nutrition information per serving: 537 Calories; 302 Calories from fat; 34.0 g Total Fat (8.2 g Saturated Fat; 19.5 g Monounsaturated Fat); 81 mg Cholesterol; 701.8 mg Sodium; 26.6 g Total Carbohydrate; 7.9 g Dietary Fiber; 32.9 g Protein; 6.4 mg Iron; 1139.6 mg Potassium; 0.2 mg Thiamin; 0.2 mg Riboflavin; 11.9 mg Niacin (NE); 0.9 mg Vitamin B6; 1.2 mcg Vitamin B12; 5.2 mg Zinc; 32.9 mcg Selenium; 117.6 mg Choline.
- 1 lb. Flank Steak
- 1 ½ Tbsp. + ½ tsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 box (10 oz.) spring mixed greens, lettuce, or spinach
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 sweet potato, diced and cubed into ½-inch to 1-inch pieces
- 1 small eggplant, diced and cubed into ½-inch to 1-inch pieces
- 7 cherry-size mozzarella cheese balls, halved
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. dried thyme
- 2 Tbsp. dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. dried basil
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. dried rosemary
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- If you do not plan to serve the whole salad in one sitting, serve this salad “deconstructed” (let everyone dish up what they want and add dressing themselves) to prevent wilting of leftover portions.
- The Flank Steak and roasted veggies make fantastic leftovers! Add them to a breakfast egg hash or toss them in a warmed up whole wheat tortilla with some added salad greens for a delicious lunch!
1. Prepare spice mix and set aside.
2. Prepare pellet grill according to manufacturer’s instructions. Preheat pellet grill to 225° F.
3. Prepare steak by rubbing ¼ tsp. olive oil on each side of the steak, then sprinkling 1 ½ Tbsp. of spice mix on each side of steak. Take care not to contaminate your spice mixture with a spoon that has touched raw meat. (Note: If time allows, seal your steak in a plastic zip-top bag with the olive oil and seasonings to marinate for 6-12 hours prior to grilling.).
4. About an hour in to cooking your steak, preheat oven to 425°F.
5. Toss diced onion, sweet potato, and eggplant with 1 ½ Tbsp. olive oil and 1 ½ Tbsp. spice mix. Place vegetables on a baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes. Toss veggies halfway through baking, then remove from oven when fork-tender.
6. While veggies are cooking, prepare salad dressing by mixing together olive oil, red wine vinegar, and remainder of spice mix (about 1 ½ Tbsp).
7. When the steak is finished cooking, remove from pellet grill, cover lightly with foil and rest 3-5 minutes before slicing. Slice steak against the grain first (perpendicular to the natural “lines”in the meat), then into bite-sized pieces.
8. Top salad greens with roasted veggies, cheese, tomatoes, and Flank Steak. Toss with salad dressing.
Source: www.beeflovingtexans.comOther recipes